AFX Starcraft tourney

Anything

Moderators: Community Members, Class Leader, WoW Player

Rza
Jason Statham
Jason Statham

AFX Starcraft tourney

Postby Rza » Mon Jul 08, 2013 00:38:19

I've spoked to most folks and everyone seems keen to go ahead with this.

We actually done this in the past for Counterstrike with Boorz homemade 1v1 aim_maps and it was great fun. So seeing as sc2 is the flavour of the month amongst alot of us and it being the best 1v1 game going lets get the ball rolling on another tourney. If this is a success we can look into other games also - quake live was muttered in the past by myself for example :P

I'd like to actually do it properly, with some hype and news posts on the website. Possibly some match reports with statistics, vods and youtube clips etc to get the AFX YT populated again. (seeing as I've got my new graphics card I'd like to start doing more video editing again.).

Boorz is down for streaming it and if we get us all on TS to spectate the games it will be a good laugh with some banter and casting! With any luck it could get Boorz stream more exposure too. Hopefully it might get some of yous people who don't like SC2 into it aswell.

Their will be a decent prize of some sorts for the winner to try and make people feel their is an incentive to actually play and practice for it, but am still not sure about what yet. I don't mind forking out a few quid to do so. If others want to chip in then that's fine but I know some people can't and I don't want anyone to feel like they have to contribute.

Confirmed atm:
Linky
Cogswell
Fxr
Razec (Fxr's RL mate, for those that don't know him)
Jupsik
Myself

Dreadz - I couldn't get a hold of you earlier tonight as you went mute on TS but I assume your in as you seemed keen on the shoutbox.
Quantum and Tyrell? - Do you think your brother and mate would be in also?
Randomtask? - if your still lurking about would you be interested?
Jordi? - I know he's played a bit for fun in the past too.

Anyone else is welcome to try, I know some of you have flirted a bit with playing starcraft in the past but perhaps this may renew your interest - Boorz, jonnie, Fops and Dim to name a few.

Ideally we'd like 8 players but if it turns out to be 9/10 or more then we'll work around it.

A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It’s the shit that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come.

Rza
Jason Statham
Jason Statham

Re: AFX Starcraft tourney

Postby Rza » Mon Jul 08, 2013 00:44:57

Suggestion for Format?

Wouid people rather its 1 night only or a longer drawn out tourney with more games?

My own personal opinion is I think the MLG format would work best for us over a month or so period. Schedule wise am thinking like a few hours on a Sunday night and doing a group stage then winners bracket/losers bracket etc till we eventually reach the final.

MLG format works as follows:
-Two groups of 4 where everyone plays each other and the top 2 from each group go into the winners bracket.
-The bottom 2 of each group go into the losers bracket.

So for instance:
Group results:

A:
Jupsik
Dreadz
Rza
Fxr

B:
Quantum
Linky
Razec
Cogswell

The winners bracket would be:
Quantum vs Dreadz
Jupsik vs Linky

Losers bracket would be:
Rza vs Cogswell
Razec vs Fxr

-When you lose in the losers bracket your out.

If you lose in the winners bracket you drop to the Losers bracket and play the winners of the loser bracket matches above till eventually the winner bracket player plays the loser bracket finalist to see who is the outright winner.

This sort of idea in the context of a whole tournament:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2 ... it/Raleigh

As we're all at different skill levels this guarantees everyone at least 4 matches plus it also finds out who is the best overall player.

Thoughts?

A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It’s the shit that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come.

B00rz
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Jean-Claude Van Damme

Postby B00rz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 00:58:08

Could get Jonnie to pull his thumb out and stream too, that way you could actually get coverage of both sides with TS for each team. I dont think it can all be done on 1 stream especially if you want to split it in 2. I can look into what other people do for streaming no problems.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews]

Rza
Jason Statham
Jason Statham

Postby Rza » Mon Jul 08, 2013 01:23:45

B00rz wrote:Could get Jonnie to pull his thumb out and stream too, that way you could actually get coverage of both sides with TS for each team. I dont think it can all be done on 1 stream especially if you want to split it in 2. I can look into what other people do for streaming no problems.

Said to you on TS but only need 1 stream for it as you only require 1 spectator.

Jonnie is welcome to stream of course but it was more for your own stream's exposure than the actual tournament exposure itself :P

Vod's would be ace though that could eventually be edited and put onto Youtube/website content.

Jupsik
Steven Seagal
Steven Seagal

Postby Jupsik » Mon Jul 08, 2013 14:40:30

love the idea, gotta start playing more 1v1's :O

Boorz! i demand a new sig :D
Request granted!

RandomTask
Jason Statham
Jason Statham

Postby RandomTask » Mon Jul 08, 2013 20:46:46

Will play if it doesn't muck up the brackets? Am useless though :D

Dimon
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Jean-Claude Van Damme

Postby Dimon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 15:37:55

Best format for small tourneys is round robin It's a bit more time consuming tho. :lol:

B00rz
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Jean-Claude Van Damme

Postby B00rz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 18:32:17

no wow raiding but sc2 tourney, I smell conspiracy

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews]

Dimon
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Jean-Claude Van Damme

Postby Dimon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 20:35:43